Submission Guidelines for Book Authors
To get an idea of the kinds of manuscripts Acadian House Publishing may be interested in publishing, please note that we are a publisher of non-fiction titles that cover a wide range of subjects, both historical and contemporary. These include biographies, histories and business success stories, as well as books that are motivational and inspirational - titles that deal with philosophy, theology and heroism. The books are distributed regionally and nationally.
Acadian House began in 1979 as a regional book publisher specializing primarily in Louisiana-related titles, with particular emphasis on the state’s history, food and culture. The company continues to publish these types of regional books, as well as some illustrated children’s books, cookbooks, pictorials and art books.
Having a book published is a process that involves 3 relatively distinct steps before the publisher can offer a contract to the author:
Mail us a query letter summarizing the content of your book. The letter should also provide biographical data on you as an author, including educational background, experience in writing, qualifications to write the manuscript you hope to submit, and other information that establishes a connection between you and the subject of the manuscript. A description of the audience for the book is also welcome in this letter.
(Expect a postcard back from us acknowledging receipt of your query letter; this should reach you within 30 days of the time you mail us the letter.)
If the editor is interested in your project, you will be contacted and asked to send a copy of one or two sample chapters of the book, as well as a chapter-by-chapter outline.
If the editor is still interested in your project, you will be contacted again and asked to mail a copy of the entire manuscript.
The manuscript will then be read and evaluated by a book reviewer who will report back to the editor. You will then be informed of our decision on whether we want to publish the book. If we (author and publisher) agree to move forward, a contract will be sent to you for your signature before the editing of the book begins.
Allow 60 to 90 days from the day you mail the manuscript till you receive a final answer from the editor.
- Acadian House Publishing does not accept - nor will it be responsible for the return of - unsolicited manuscripts.
- Please submit your original proposals in the form of query letters by mail, not by phone or e-mail.
- If asked to submit your manuscript in whole or in part, please send us copies, never the original. We will not return these copies.
- Make sure your manuscript is presentable. Manuscripts should be typewritten, double-spaced, on 8.5 inch x 11 inch paper, with adequate margins (1 inch on all sides) and all pages numbered.
- Make sure your name and complete contact information are on the title page and on your query letter. (Name, shipping address, mailing address, phone(s), fax, e-mail.)
When sending query letters, outlines of books, sample chapters, etc., address them to:
Acadian House Publishing
P.O. Box 52247
Lafayette, LA 70505